12 May Elon Musk takes us inside his first tunnel under LA on a prototype ‘eletric sled’ and super fast
May 12, 2017 | by Iqtidar Ali
Looks like things are moving faster than expected at Elon Musk’s ‘The Boring Company’ as He releases several photos of the first Boring Machine at work takes us inside the first tunnel.
This is the start of the 3D network of tunnels under LA that Elon Musk announced at TED 2017. As for the start of this ambitious project this is what Elon Musk had to say
“Full length of first tunnel will run from LAX to Culver City, Santa Monica, Westwood and Sherman Oaks. Future tunnels will cover all of greater LA.”
The Boring Company got the delivery of their first Boring Machine last month and Elon Musk even asked the fans to suggest the names earlier this week. With the theme being Poems and Plays the finalized name is Godot from the play ‘Waiting for Godot’ by Samuel Beckett.
Elon Musk gives us first look of Godot’s cutter head in action (see video below).
As Elon Musk said at TED, He wants to speed up the boring from 300 feet a week to 1 miles a week and this can be achieved by shortening the diameter of the tunnels.
Also the cars won’t be driving inside the tunnels by themselves, they will be transported to fixed exit points by super fast electric sleds to reduce the travel time significantly.
So it’s time to see the first electric sled in action, similar to the ones that we saw in the Boring Company’s first concept video presented at TED 2017. Elon Musk warns us that looking at this video may cause motion sickness or seizures, let’s have a look.
- Boring Company’s tunnel launch will include modded autonomous cars, perfectly road legal
- Connecting the dots: Elon Musk’s boring tunnels and hyperloop race competitions
- How Elon Musk’s Boring Company plans to upgrade the tunnels to Hyperloop capability, More boring updates
- Interesting VFX shows 2020 Tesla Roadster going ‘Back To The Future’ in ludicrous mode
- Tesla Model 3: Latest updates and resources