Next-Gen Tesla Roadster will hover like the flying DeLorean from Back To The Future, no joke says Elon Musk
Elon Musk says he’s not joking when talking about flying or hovering next-generation Tesla Roadster like the DeLorean from the movie Back To The Future — an Elon Tweet-storm started after the Tesla CEO retweeted an animated hovering DeLorean from a Tesla enthusiast.
In a reply to Marques Brownlee, Elon Musk said that he’s not joking at all about the hovering next-gen Tesla Roadster and explained how he is planning to do it in the near future.
The original animated hovering DeLorean tweet came in response to a tweet from @TeslaAircraf which mentioned praise for Tesla’s innovation in general and especially how the Tesla Model S is still evolving even after 6 years of its launch.
Elon Musk further explained how the function of a flying or hovering Tesla Roadster could be achieved:
Will use SpaceX cold gas thruster system with ultra high-pressure air in a composite over-wrapped pressure vessel in place of the 2 rear seats.
It’s not the first time Tesla CEO Elon Musk has talked about installing SpaceX cold air thrusters in the Tesla Roadster, last year he said:
SpaceX option package for new Tesla Roadster will include ~10 small rocket thrusters arranged seamlessly around car. These rocket engines dramatically improve acceleration, top speed, braking & cornering. Maybe they will even allow a Tesla to fly…
When asked if the SpaceX package will be included in the ‘Founder Series’ Tesla Roadster’ models, Elon Musk said ‘it’s an option’ which clearly means that this will need to be separately bought.
We strongly think that buying the Tesla Roadster SpaceX package will need you to compromise on the two rear seats but for the true enthusiasts, this will not be a big deal.
This is some exciting innovation that we can expect from the collaboration of Tesla and SpaceX — Elon Musk‘s tech companies provide Tesla a competitive advantage over any other automaker in the world as of today, the pace of innovation at Tesla will outclass the competition for the foreseeable future.
Let’s watch the original video clip of the DeLorean flying in the movie Back To The Future – Part 2 and imagine what will a Tesla Roadster look like when hovering even a few inches from the ground, just amazing!
- Interesting VFX video shows 2020 Tesla Roadster going ‘Back To The Future’ in the ludicrous mode
- See some jaw-dropping renders of the 2020 Tesla Roadster in red, white, matte-black and more
- Tesla enthusiast wins 2 Tesla Roadsters worth $500k via the referral program
- New Tesla Roadster pictures released as the car debuts at Grand Basel, Switzerland
- A leaked photo from Tesla design studio shows next-gen Roadster with Semi trucks in the back
- The path to a free next-gen Founder’s Series Tesla Roadster
- Musk’s EV inspiration, an original ‘tZero’ burned in a destructive fire along with several Tesla Roadsters
- Tesla Roadster and Semi Truck appear at the 2018 Tesla Shareholder Meeting