Tesla Model 3 Performance sets a new record for 0-60 mph
Oct 05, 2018 | by Iqtidar Ali
Now that the Dual-Motor Performance Tesla Model 3 is widespread, it’s time for some tuning and cranking out insane numbers — like the latest attempt by Ian Pavelko and Trevor Page from the Model 3 Owners Club.
As per manufacturer specs Tesla Model 3 Performance has a 0-60 mph time of 3.5 seconds but with independent testing it’s not more than 3.2 seconds with the factory/stock setup of the vehicle.
Ian works for a wheel manufacturer and he was able to shed around 9 lbs (~4 KG) of weight on each corner of the car by swapping the stock 20″ wheels with 18″ wheels with different tires.
Ian also gives great insight from an engineering perspective for choosing the correct wheel/tire for your Tesla Model 3 Performance (video below).
The M3OC team was able to to shove off 0.08 seconds from the initial tests and the new record is now set to 3.12 seconds for the Tesla Model 3 Performance with only one modification i.e. the wheels/tires upgrade.
Also these attempts at the 0-60 were without the 1′ rollout as mentioned by the testing team in the following tweet:
Tesla Model 3 Performance has lately been taking on big names on the drag-strip such as the McLaren 570S, Camaro SS and a Tesla Model X with impressive results.
Not to forget that Tesla Model S P100D in Ludicrous Mode is the world’s fastest production car with a 0-60 time of 2.5 seconds. Now Tesla Model 3 Performance is up for the challenge of making and braking new records — imagine a Ludicrous Mode for Model 3 Performance.
- Tesla Model 3 AWD vs. BMW M2 Competition real-world driving experience comparison
- Tesla Model 3 Performance vs McLaren 570S drag race
- Tesla Model S P100D vs. Dodge Demon in an epic 1/4 mile drag race battle
- Compare Tesla Model 3 exterior dimensions with Sedans and EVs
- New Tesla Roadster pictures and videos from the Grand Basel auto show
- 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric – Detailed Specifications
- Latest News: Tesla Semi Truck