Tesla Model 3 battles BMW M3 on the race track in the latest Top Gear video
At last Top Gear gets ahold of both a Tesla Model 3 and BMW M3 on a race track in an attempt to test if Elon Musk’s claims about Model 3’s performance can actually be proved right.
The video which features multiple types of races between the two performance cars starts with the reference to two of Elon Musk’s following tweets from the launch of Model 3 Performance variant, almost a year ago!
Elon Musk revealed the Model 3 Performance’s initial specs and said it can beat any car in its class on the track, a bold assertion by the passionate CEO:
“Electric beats Petrol, Tesla Model 3 outguns BMW M3, Elon wasn’t tweeting nonsense (for once)”
This is coming from a show that does not have a great history when it comes to relationships with Tesla but putting aside all biases, Model 3 is a clear winner here.
Tesla Model 3 vs. BMW M3 Track Races
Top Gear Organized four races on the track between the two cars i.e. a Tesla Model 3 Performance with ‘Track Mode‘ and a BMW M3 — 1/4 drag race, 0-100 mph & braking to 0, hot lap times, and drift-ability.
The result is Tesla Model 3 winning by 3:1 with the BMW M3 only getting the limelight in the drifting arena, Tesla might need to further tweak the Track Mode in order to improve the car’s ability to drift.
Let’s get through some quick specs of both cars before watching the interesting track races (video below).
The winner Model 3 finishes in 11.9 secs @112.6 mph vs. BMW M3 crossing the line in 12.6 secs @119.1 mph
Due to the instant acceleration of the Tesla Model 3, it was the clear winner here as well.
Hot Laps (standing start):
With ‘Track Mode’ ON, the Tesla Model 3 handles a lot better as we saw in the video while the BMW M3 did not even have a cool start in the third race. The BMW lost this race as well and couldn’t beat Tesla’s lap time of 1:34.07 secs with its 1:35.96 secs of performance.
This is where the Model 3 lacked the ability in comparison to the BMW M3 but winning 3 races out of 4 is never a bad day for any car, electric or not!
- Watch Tesla Model 3 Performance ace the Nürburgring race track
- Tesla Model 3 AWD vs. BMW M2 Competition real-world driving experience comparison
- Top Gear takes us on a joyride from Tesla factory to Model Y event in a Model 3 Performance
- Tesla Model 3 Performance takes on Tesla Model X P100DL, McLaren 570S and a Camaro SS in 1/4 mile drags
- Tesla Model X P100D drag races against a 6.5L V12 Ferrari 812 Superfast
- Tesla Model 3 Performance sets a new record for 0-60 mph
- World’s quietest drag race: Jaguar I-Pace vs Tesla Model X 100D & P100D
- Compare Tesla Model 3 exterior dimensions with competing Sedans and EVs
- Watch all drag race videos